Tuesday, November 9

Toasty Beans Anyone?

Currently Watching:: Food Network's Best Thing I Ever Ate

I don't want anything more
Than to see your face when you open the door
You'll make me beans on toast and a nice cup of tea
And we'll get a Chinese and watch TV
- Lily Allen
~Chinese

I have a fascination with foreign foods. Especially ones I haven't tried yet. For some reason, Beans on Toast is still on this list. 

A basic British staple consisting of baked beans on a slice of buttered toast, I think if Weetzie and her friends were from Great Britain, they would eat this all the time.
It's even vegetarian-able, since the authentic British beans are in plain tomato sauce (no porky-stuffs like in the US), and this is very Weetzie too ^-6

I'm pretty sure Super G Mart here now sells the correct, "British" Heinz baked beans, but for some reason I've never stopped and grabbed some.
Definitely going to correct this next time I'm there.

I keep stumbling on this small website dedicated to Beans on Toast and it always makes me want some...

Then, of course, my favorite food forum, Chowhound, has a thread about Beans on Toast, which is a great place to get ideas.

I love the idea that it's a completely customizable, like this one with (what looks like) pancetta or prosciutto and a lightly fried egg with a slightly runny yolk.
Mmm...

I imagine an equally awesome would be a couple dashes of hot sauce, maybe Worcestershire sauce, and some bacon, plus the egg! Double mmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment