Friday, December 24

Beautiful Reading :: Wasteland

Book: Wasteland
By: Francesca Lia Block


"But the way I saw you was pieces refracting the light, shifting into an infinite universe of flowers and rainbows and insects and planets, magical dividing cells, pictures no one else knew."
-pg 4

I've only gotten half way through this book, and I'm still a little confused about it, but the words are still beautiful, just like FLB books tend to be. Like the quote above, images of light and music and the world around the characters, Marina, Lex, and West.
From what I've read in reviews, the story is a blend of a (controversial) romantic relationship between siblings Lex and Marina. From what I've read, this story falls behind, mentioned, implied, and described through the strange, building relationship between the two. But it's not the primary focus, which actually seems to be Lex's untimely, mysterious death, and classmate West's attempts to help Marina get through it.

"You remember the ones who die when you're a kid. You remember them because it's so out of control and it reminds you that it's not just old people even though you feel in a million years nothing could happen to you."
-pg 30

Like I said, I'm only half way through, and the plot is a definitely a little confusing, the point of view and timeline changing often, making it hard sometimes to tell what is going on, who is talking, and when it's happening. I'm thinking this may work better on a second reading, after I've been through the text and soaked in the story.
But the emotion is raw and beautiful, and the descriptions, as would be expected, are amazing. I'm not sure this will be among my favorite FLB books, but I definitely won't regret it, turning each page with a solemn ache in my heart for Marina's pain.

"My mind is like the Valley- this vast barren waste. Car lots. Malls.  Tract homes. I know there are other worlds beyond it-- of canyons full of coyote and monarch butterflies, squirrels, bunnies, purple and yellow wildflowers, of magical boulevards lined with palatial movie theaters and movie-star haunted mansions, of parks and palms and palisades, especially, especially, especially of the ocean, where it all ends and everything begins."
-pg 11



PS.
Are you ready for Christmas? If not an Xmas person, what other Holidays do you celebrate this time of year?

No comments:

Post a Comment