Wednesday, February 10

Introduction

I don't remember it, but it all started with I Was a Teenage Fairy.

First of all, let's get it out of the way that I love Francesca Lia Block. I think I can honestly say that she is my absolute favorite author, and have no regrets about it.
More than any other author, I come back to her books and stories again and again and bask in the beautiful, sad, wonderful adventure of the senses that her books so commonly are.
While I only currently own 6 of her books (10 really, since Dangerous Angels has 5 of the Weetzie Bat books), I have read many more than that, as well as some of her stories, and can't wait to read her newer work.

A growing adoration of all things faerie led me to pick up I Was a Teenage Fairy when I was a young teenager, and while I didn't really fully understand it (or appreciate it), I loved it anyway. Years and years later I somehow discovered Weetzie Bat, then Witch Baby, and I fully entered the world of FL Block. Over the course of the last few years, I read, re-read, and immersed myself body and soul into anything I could find written by her. It's slow going; rescuing them all one by one from used bookstores, but there are few things as exciting as walking into the local buy/sell/trade book for the fifth time in a month, pouring over the Teen Fiction section, and finally seeing a copy of one of the books I don't have.

I love the mixtures of magic and realism. The blends of the beautiful, the horrible, the depressing, and the magnificent.

However, in all my readings and research and web-browsing for information about the Block Books, there's one thing I've never really been able to find; How to Live Like Weetzie. Or, really, how to live like any of FLBs vibrant characters.

Most of FLBs stories are fascinating combinations of realism and fantasy, but her characters almost always strive for a life full of beauty, taste, scents, sensuality, and- most of all- love and affection. Her characters live without judgment or prejudice, and thrive on so many sensual experiences (later, I'll make a list of how many times food is mentioned within Weetzie B alone) that just reading them makes you dizzy!


Now, I hope nobodies going to try to sue me, because I'm saying now that I don't own any of the Francesca Lia Block stories/books/etc, of course. If I did, I wouldn't be writing this blog. But I am, and I don't have any rights to FLBs stuff.

I write this out of a desire to do something. A need to express my own thoughts, opinions, and hopes about her works, and how I think if we all lived a little bit more like Weetzie, Witch Baby, Ruby, Tuck, and Primavera, maybe our lives - and maybe even the world- would be a little better.
A little nicer, a little more accepting, a little more delicious, a little more loving; a little more beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment