Tuesday, October 22

Baked Avocado Breakfast :: A Recipe


After seeing it over and over on Pinterest, I finally sat down and made the baked avocado with egg.
Since Weetzie (at some points or other) and other FLB characters are often vegetarian-- and typically live in California-- this seems like a very Weetzie recipe. Creamy, rich, simple, healthy.
Theirs (from Pinterest)

Mine.


So after reading a few blog posts about it (some bashing, some praising) and a few different versions of the recipe, I gave it a shot.

First off, I didn't actually expect it to come out as pretty as in the pictures, but by doing it carefully (full
prep time only took less than ten minutes, btw) it came out pretty awesome.

I used seasoning salt and pepper as my seasoning, and cubed prosciutto that I bought for brushetta last week and have been trying to use up as my topping.
I can see why people either love or hate this. My beau loved it, and ate it straight out of the shell with a spoon. I was a little more iffy. It was good-- the prosciutto crisp and salty, the egg a little harder than I like but good, but the baked avocado has a smokey, just slightly bitter taste (possibly because it wasn't fully ripe) that I just didn't take to on its own. Solution? Carbs! I toasted up a crumpet (<3) -- though a regular slice of bread would do fine -- and smeared the avocado egg mixture on top. New result? Delicious!



My version::

-1 ripe avocado
-2 eggs
-seasoning (ie. salt, pepper, cayenne, seasoning salt, etc.)
-toppings (ie. bacon, cheese, ham, etc.)

Preheat oven to 425.
1. Crack two eggs into a bowl, careful to keep yolks in tact (in my research, this seemed like the best way to get the egg to fit)
2. Cut avocado in half, remove pit.
3. Season avocado.
4. On a baking sheet, wrap coil of aluminum foil in two circles, make sure they're steady.
5. Set avocado halves onto circles, making sure they are steady and don't wiggle.
6. Gently spoon one yolk into each avocado, then top with however much egg whites you can fit without spilling over.
7. Season and add toppings.
8. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment